Oct 5, 2009

Oops, of teeth and cavities~


Had an appointment with the dentist today, my 1st appointment, mind you. I've only been to the dentist's in school for so long in my life. Anyway, I had a toothache on thursday, and I thought the best thing will be to consult a dentist.

So, you may wonder, what was the visit like?

wrecked nerves, butterflies in my tummy, and a case of crybaby being dragged out of the car?
and then I heard screams and I was so scared until I wet my trousers?
and then the dentist came towards me with his huge, sharp dental explorer and I screamed and had to be tied on a chair to prevent me from struggling and running away?
not to mention that I fainted then?

honestly, this is over exaggeration even for something made up.

Anyway, a cavity isn't something fun to have. Cavities, or dental caries, commonly known as tooth decay are mainly caused by caries-causing bacterias. Tooth decay happens when you eat too mush sweet food and don't brush your teeth often, or don't know the correct way of brushing your teeth.


case of bad tooth-brushing which results in cavities

I had my cavities filled up. It was kinda like patching up a hole with cement, only in this case, it was with some silvery stuff called Amalgam. I looked it up in wikipedia. Here's some

"Amalgam has been the restorative method of choice for many years due to its low cost, ease of application, strength, durability, and bacteriostatic effects. Factors that have led to recent decline in use are a lingering concern about detrimental health effects, aesthetics, and environmental pollution. The aesthetic issue is due to the fact that the metallic color does not blend very well with the natural tooth color. This is especially a concern when used on front teeth, but it can be addressed using alternative dental materials. The environmental concerns are regarding mercury emissions during preparation and from waste amalgam upon cremation of deceased individuals.

Currently, dental amalgams are composed of 43% to 54% mercury and the remaining powder is made up of mainly silver (~20-35%)[2] and some tin, copper (~10%), and zinc (~2%)."

So i concluded that
1) Wow, I have silver in my mouth! xD
2) There may be detrimental health effects. ><
3) I'm gonna pollute the environment when I'm dead. =.=


Hey! mind your teeth~

Well, I had to open my mouth BIG AND WIDE for about half an hour (or more?) and that isn't a pleasant sensation. I had a dizzy spell and extremely sore jaws after that. (well, try gaping for half an hour, then you'll know what I' saying) Okay, I admit, maybe the dizzy spell was because I was deprived of my afternoon sleep time, but still....

Anyway, to all the kiddos out there~ take care of your teeth. Going to the dentist's ain't that scary, but it ain't fun either. Getting your pearly whites patched up with a shade of silver ain't that pretty too...

And you wouldn't want to pollute the environment, would ya?







fishtail yu

No comments:

Post a Comment